SECTION 06 61 19
PART 1 – GENERAL
A. Section Includes:
1. Quartz countertops.
2. Quartz [____].
3. Setting materials and accessories.
B. Related Sections:
1. Division 01: Administrative, procedural, and temporary work requirements.
2. Section [__ __ __ – _______] – Steel supports.
3. Section [__ __ __ – _______] – Wood supports.
4. Section [__ __ __ – _______] – Cementitious backer unit substrate.
5. Section [__ __ __ – _______] – Base cabinets.
6. Section [__ __ __ – _______] – Joint sealers.
7. Section [__ __ __ – _______] – Toilet Accessories.
A. American National Standards Institute (ANSI):
1. A108.5 – Installation of Ceramic Tile with Dry-Set Portland Cement Mortar or Latex Portland Cement Mortar.
2. A118.4 – Latex-Portland Cement Mortar.
B. ASTM International (ASTM:
1. C97 – Standard Test Methods for Absorption and Bulk Specific Gravity of Dimension Stone.
2. C99 – Standard Test Method for Modulus of Rupture of Dimension Stone.
3. C170 – Standard Test Method for Compressive Strength of Dimension Stone.
4. C241 – Standard Test Method for Abrasion Resistance of Stone Subjected to Foot Traffic.
5. C482 – Standard Test Method for Bond Strength of Ceramic Tile to Portland Cement.
6. C484 – Standard Test Method for Thermal Shock Resistance of Glazed Ceramic Tile.
7. C531 – Standard Test Method for Linear Shrinkage and Coefficient of Thermal Expansion of Chemical-Resistant Mortars, Grouts, Monolithic Surfacings, and Polymer Concretes.
8. C648 – Standard Test Method for Breaking Strength of Ceramic Tile.
9. C650 – Standard Test Method for Resistance of Ceramic Tile to Chemical Substances.
10. C672/C672M – Standard Test Method for Scaling Resistance of Concrete Surfaces Exposed to Deicing Chemicals.
11. C880 – Standard Test Method for Flexural Strength of Dimension Stone.
12. C1026 – Standard Test Method for Measuring the Resistance of Ceramic Tile to Freeze-Thaw Cycling.
13. C1028 – Standard Test Method for Determining the Static Coefficient of Friction of Ceramic Tile and Other Like Surfaces by the Horizontal Dynamometer Pull-Meter Method.
14. E84 – Standard Test Method for Surface Burning Characteristics of Building Materials.
A. Shop Drawings: Include layout, dimensions, materials, finishes, cutouts, and attachments.
1. [3 x 3] [__ x __] inch quartz samples [in specified color.] [showing available colors.]
2.  [__] inch long joint sealer samples [in specified color.] [showing available colors.]
1.4 QUALITY ASSURANCE
A. Fabricator and Installer Qualifications: Minimum  [__] years [documented] experience in work of this Section.
1. Construct [countertop mockup,  [__] feet wide, full depth, with splash [and skirt].] [[____] mockup, [__] x [__] feet.]
2. Include [plumbing fixtures and trim.] [____.]
3. Locate [where directed.] [____.]
4. Approved mockup may remain as part of the Work.
A. Provide manufacturer’s 10 year warranty against defects in materials and workmanship.
PART 2 – PRODUCTS
A. Contract Documents are based on products by Cosentino USA, Inc.
B. Substitutions: [Under provisions of Division 01.] [Not permitted.]
A. Quartz Sheet:
1. Product: Silestone.
2. Composition: Quartz aggregate, resin, and color pigments formed into flat slabs.
3. Anti-microbial protection: Microban by Microban International, Inc., integral to sheet.
4. Color: [____.] [To be selected from manufacturer’s full color range.]
6. Physical characteristics:
a. Static coefficient of friction: 1.02 dry, 0.51 wet, tested to ASTM C1028.
b. Water absorption: Maximum 0.03 percent, tested to ASTM C97.
c. Compressive strength: Minimum 29,000 psi, tested to ASTM C170.
d. Bond strength: Minimum 210 psi, tested to ASTM C482.
e. Modulus of rupture: Minimum 6300 psi, tested to ASTM C99.
f. Flexural strength: Minimum 5800 psi, tested to ASTM C880.
g. Breaking strength: Minimum 480 lbf, tested to ASTM C648.
h. Stain resistance: Not affected by 10 percent hydrochloric acid or 10 percent KOH, tested to ASTM C650.
i. Thermal shock resistance: Pass 5 cycles, tested to ASTM C484.
j. Abrasive index: 65-Ha = 25, tested to ASTM C241.
k. Thermal expansion: 1.670 x 10-5 in/in/deg F, tested to ASTM C531.
l. Deicing resistance: Rating of 0, tested to ASTM C672/C672M.
m. Freeze/thaw resistance: 0 tiles at 15 cycles, tested to ASTM C1026.
n. Flame spread rating: Class 1, tested to ASTM E84.
A. Adhesive: Type recommended by quartz manufacturer.
**** OR ****
B. Latex-Portland Cement Mortar: 272 Premium Floor N’ Wall Thin-Set Mortar mixed with 333 Super Flexible Additive by Laticrete International, Inc.
**** OR ****
C. Latex-Portland Cement Mortar: 254 Platinum Multipurpose Thin-Set Mortar by Laticrete International, Inc.
**** OR ****
D. Latex-Portland Cement Mortar: ANSI A118.4.
E. Joint Sealer:
1. Latisil Tile and Stone Sealant by Laticrete International, Inc.
2. Color: [_____.] [To be selected from manufacturer’s full color range.]
A. Cut quartz panels accurately to required shapes and dimensions.
B. Radius exposed edges.
C. Fabricate with hairline joints.
D. Cut holes for [sinks] [faucets] [toilet accessories] [____].
PART 3 – EXECUTION
A. Clean surfaces to receive fabrications; remove loose and foreign matter than could interfere with adhesion.
A. Install fabrications in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions and approved Shop Drawings.
B. Adhere fabrications with continuous beads of adhesive.
**** OR ****
C. Set in thin set mortar bed in accordance with ANSI A 108.5.
D. Set plumb and level. Align adjacent pieces in same plane.
E. Install with hairline joints.
F. Fill joints between fabrications and adjacent construction with joint sealer; finish smooth and flush.
3.3 INSTALLATION TOLERANCES
A. Maximum variation from level and plumb: 1/8 inch in 10 feet, noncumulative.
B. Maximum variation in plane between adjacent pieces at joint: Plus or minus 1/16 inch.
A. Clean fabrications in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions.
A. Protect installed fabrications with non-staining sheet coverings.